Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It's all Greek to Me!

Well this weekend was both sad and fun at the same time. On Friday, me and the boyfriend decided to take it easy because we were going to another friend's going away party the following night. We were going to go see the Happening but then realized that it didn't start until the following week. As we only have two decent theatres that show one movie at a time (for a week period) I sometimes get confused. For some reason they had shown the Sex and the City movie for 2 weeks straight at one theatre and the new Indiana Jones flick. I understand showing the new Indie film for a couple of weeks but why Sex and the City? Seems like an odd choice to keep around for that long. So after discovering that the movie we wanted to see was not actually playing, we went and rented two dvds. First movie was Semi-Pro. It was kind of funny but more in a Talladega Nights/Blades of Glory kind of way then in an Old School/Anchorman kind of way. That is to say that it was basically Will Ferrell making an ass out of himself. After that we watched Untraceable. It was okay but I wouldn't suggest going out of your way to pick it up. I do love Diane Lane though. She is beautiful and will probably be that way for many years to come; as far as she is going lately.

At about 8pm, we got a call from the boyfriend's step dad saying that his grandma had had a heart attack that day and was very sick and likely to die. So the boyfriend had to book a flight out to Victoria (about as far away from Bermuda as it gets in Canada) to go and say goodbye to his grandma. He booked a flight for the following day and will be returning on Thursday. He would have liked to have stayed longer, but his other set of parents (father and stepmother) are coming out on the same flight as he is coming back on. He didn't want to leave me alone with them as I do not know them that well. I know his mother and stepfather alot better as I spent much more time with them.

So the boyfriend left on Saturday and made it safely to Victoria but he sent news, via email, that his grandma had passed away during the early hours of Sunday morning. She passed about five hours after he got there, so atleast he got to say goodbye. His family said that she was waiting for him to show up before leaving. It's really sad but atleast he had gone out and spent a week with his grandma last year before coming out to Bermuda (something that he hadn't done since being a child). I never got to meet her, but if she is anything like her daughter, than I'm sure I would have gotten along great with her.

On Saturday night, I went to my friend's going away party. It was a toga party. I bought a bolt of neon pink material and built this lovely toga:



This is a picture of me doing the classic Marilyn Monroe pose over a fan.

The party was fun but pretty tame compared to what I thought it was going to be. The guest of honor is a bit of a legend on this island as he parties hard and tends to get naked alot. There is never a dull moment around him. He ended up only getting naked once and jumping into the pool. He, of course, also didn't wear any underwear under his toga. We all got a couple of flashes throughout the night. Unfortunately, not many people showed up to the party. But I guess its better only having close friends.

Highlights of the party included when I had a "wardrobe malfunction" and when our friend showed up wearing a toga that was made out of a shower curtain. Trust a boy to make a toga out of a shower curtain. I bet he just pulled it right from his bathroom at the last minute. My other friend showed up without a toga and everyone questioned why (because he is the type to go all out for events like this). Apparently he had started this elaborate toga which involved sewing gold trim on material that apparently got eaten by his sewing machine. He was extremely bitter and boycotted wearing a toga due to the sad memories it brought about. I ended up not making a fool of myself, like the weekend prior, as I limited myself to one drink an hour. It was a great plan! It ensured I stayed up late and gave me something to look forward to! I stayed until about 3am and then split a cab back with the naked guy and with the guy's whose toga was eaten by the evil sewing machine.

Sunday was a very lazy day. Everyone was heading to the beach at 2pm. I was up at about 10 am and waited around until then as I didn't want to show up alone. As soon as I was ready to go, the sky clouded over and it got shitty out. I am seriously getting sick of being so pale! Mother nature, please cooperate with me for once!

No comments: